Sunday, October 3, 2010

R.I.P: Tintin

'Billions of blue blistering barnacles!!!!'

I loved this line when I was young, when I thought it was okay for me to openly express my liking for a bizarre comic book character, and it was okay to want Tintin comics and not iPods as birthday presents.

Captain Haddock (that bemusing sailor friend of Tintin's) had a certain charm in his way of talking, in his demeanour, a charm that still brings a smile to my stubble sporting, 'Chubby gone rough' face.

I don't read Tintin anymore and Why?
Same as why you don't want people singing 'Happy Birthday' at your birthday parties (Did I use the right term here? Is 'Birthday Party', a ridiculously juvenile term to use?) anymore.

Time has a bewildering way of manifesting its progress. Soon, many other 'Tintins' will be unceremoniously sucked out of my life.

We speak of the relentless pursuit of our hopes, of our dreams but at the expense of what? Life is equally if not more relentlessly unforgiving for it gives you simple, beautiful, joys only to obliterate them in a brazenly cruel way.

Time's march is inexorable and so are the radical changes it manages to implement in our mind sets. Is it then useless to hold on to the things we treasure and keep them close to our hearts?

Only time will tell. (How ironical?)

For now, it pains me to form a picture of Snowy (Remember Tintin's cute dog?) in my mind, shedding tears and wagging his tail in desperation.

Stopping now seems to be the only thing that will stop me from shedding a tear myself.

R.I.P Tintin.

1 comment:

  1. It's in an interesting point that you raise here. Only today, was I pondering over some of my decisions of the past (which might be the basis of my next blog-post). And then, reading your post makes me wonder, should I just let it go; forget it just like so many other things have been forgotten?

    Well once again..only time will tell ;-)

    Keeping my dull thoughts aside...
    Loved reading it . thanks for giving me some food for thought...and also bringing back to me the memory of the days of TINTIN....

    ReplyDelete